Kerala State Human Rights Commission
The Kerala State Human Rights Commission was constituted by the Government of Kerala in December 1998 under Section 21 of the Protection of Human Rights Act, 1993 vide G.O.(P)No.523/98/Law dated 11th December 1998 and published as S.R.O.No.1065/98 in the Kerala Gazette Extraordinary No.2036 on 11th December 1998.The Commission comprises of a Chairman and two Members.
The Commission shall perform all or any of the following functions namely:-
- a) Inquire, suo motuor on a petition presented to it by a victim or any person on his behalf, or on a direction or order of any court into complaint of-
(i) violation of human rights or abetment thereof; or
(ii) negligence in the prevention of such violation by a public servant;
- b) Intervene in any proceeding involving any allegation of violation of human rights pending before a court with the approval of such court;
- c) To visit ,notwithstanding anything contained in any other law for the time being in force, any jail or any other institution under the control of the State Government, where persons are detained or lodged for purposes of treatment, reformation or protection, for the study of the living conditions of inmates thereof and make recommendations thereon to the Government;
- d) Review the safeguards provided by or under the Constitution or any law for the time being in force for the protection of human rights and recommend measures for their effective implementation;
- e) Review the factors, including acts of terrorism, that inhibit the enjoyment of human rights and recommend appropriate remedial measures;
- f) Study treaties and other international instruments on human rights and make recommendations for their effective implementations;
- g) Undertake and promote research in the field of human rights;
- h) Spread human rights literacy among various section of society and promote awareness of the safeguards available for the protection of these rights through publications, the media, seminars and other available means;
- i) encourage the efforts of non-governmental organisations and institutions working in the field of human rights;
- j) such other functions as it may consider necessary for the protection of human rights.
The Administration of the Kerala State Human Rights Commission is done by the Law Department. Section 28 of the Protection of Human Rights Act, 1993 stipulates that the State Human Rights Commission shall submit an Annual Report to the State Government and the State Government shall cause the annual reports and special reports, as the case may be, to be laid before the State Legislature along with a memorandum of action taken or proposed to be taken on the recommendations of the State Commission and the reasons for non-acceptance of the recommendations, if any. Thus the Kerala State Human Rights Commission submits the Annual Reports to the Law Department compiling their recommendations on HRMPs, suo-motu cases and on the visits conducted by the Commission during the year. The Annual Report of the Commission along with Memorandum of Action and proposed to be taken by various Departments of Government and other institutions is laid before the Kerala Legislative Assembly by the Law Department.
The Head Quarters of the Kerala State Human Rights Commission is at Thiruvananthapuram.
For details contact :
PMG.JN.VIKAS BHAVAN P.O, THIRUVANANTHAPURAM
FAX-OFFICE 0471 2307490
FAX-INVESTIGATION WING- 0471- 2302570